Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Sunday, April 14, 2019

Ain't Nothing Gonna Break My Stride

My friend Julie and I are walking and 5K buddies.

Our agreement is she goes and picks up the packet (shirt, race bib, etc) for us and I drive to the race itself. It works for us. We each help each other, and benefit.

A few weeks ago, she suggested a new one for us: 
The Foundation for Blind Children's Stride for Sight.

It sounded fun and it was for a good cause, so we both registered.

We arrived plenty early, and walked around the setup area. They had an obstacle course setup so that you could experience what a blind person deals with on an every day basis.
Our eyes were covered with goggles that took away our sight.

I wrote:

Very eye opening (and challenging) to complete this obstacle course without sight and using the white cane to determine what was in my path and what way to turn. Major props to everyone for whom this is a daily challenge for.

  


There were garbage containers, traffic cones, items that you could easily trip over, even a simulated curb (step up and over). I was completely out of my element and when they told me I had finished, it had seemed like a really long time and that I hadn't moved that far, when in reality I had completed the entire course (with some guidance of course).

I thought that in itself was quite an eye opening and enriching experience - to see what others who are blind go through. I gained new respect for my cousin and others like him.
It was a "WOW!!" moment.

Shortly thereafter, they started to line us up for the race. To my surprise, Julie had another white cane and 2 sets of blindfolds to again take our sight. We were were going to walk at least part of the race without sight!  I must have missed that part when I signed up. Oops. LOL.

We went through the start line and then I placed the mask on and walked the first mile with my sighted guide (Julie). Unlike the obstacle course where I was moving the white cane in front of me as I have seen many others do, we found for the race it was easier (and quicker)  to walk with me in the back and Julie in front with both of us holding the white cane/stick. If we hadn't, I think it would have taken us much longer to complete.

Even so, I found it even more of a challenge than the obstacle course. As we left, I heard someone who also was blindfolded exclaim "I am sweating because I AM STRESSED!!" and I thought, "I'm right there with ya!!" 

Initially I felt my anxiety and probably my blood pressure, rise. It made me think of that that trust fall thing where you have to trust and faith that the group will catch you. You have complete faith and trust in the group, and in my case, in my walking partner/sighted guide. Although I already trust her as my close friend, it was an exercise in performing what I struggle with in other parts of my life - letting the control go and relying on someone else! We had to help other to succeed, and we did just that.

I started to panic and felt my anxiety rise at not being able to see, but my other senses also were heightened and razor focused - my hearing, for example. I heard the cars pass us by and could determine how close they were to us.  (We walked on one lane of a half closed off road). Hearing the voices around us - I could tell when were in groups of people and when we were not. When we were around large groups, hearing all the voices at once was almost a sensory overload kind of situation. I heard every single voice. I heard the sound of the wind. Both of those latter two, I discovered I don't really pay much attention to normally.  Perhaps my sight takes over and makes the people's voices in a crowd and the sound of wind lessen in comparison to what I can see with my eyes.

Unlike true sight loss, we could still see some sunlight peaking through the bottom of the blindfolds. I wanted a "true" experience, and so I closed my eyes for much of the walking to remove the sunlight. Without any other voices near me, except Julie, at times..I did not intend to, but I found without my sight and without the overwhelming voices of large groups - I found peace, I found calm, I was meditating without even trying to do so.

I didn't realize either how much related to my vision I just take for granted. When you have to walk a little to the left or to the right to avoid something, curbs, steps, potholes, 
cracks in the ground that make no difference to someone with sight, but you step the wrong way and panic sets in.

It made me very thankful and appreciative - of what I have, but also what I see others struggle with.

I walked the first mile blindfolded.
We switched, and Julie walked the second mile blindfolded so she could get a taste of her own medicine as my guide! LOL

Even after I took the blindfold off, It kind of felt like I had gotten used to not relying on my vision and I tripped over two of the traffic cones on the route. It was as if I wasn't paying attention visually because I was used to relying on my sense of touch and hearing - as I had been over the past mile or so.

Although I initially blew it of as just me being the klutz that I am, after Julie took her blindfold off, she did the exact same thing!

There is this quote by Elvis Presley that is on my list of favorite quotes:
 
"Don't criticize what you don't understand, Son. 
You never walked in that man's shoes"

Although criticize is not exactly the right word choice here, I do feel like after today, I have walked in some shoes I have never had the chance to experience before.

I got to experience firsthand and be exposed to, how is life for someone who is blind.



I can't wait to do this one again next year. See you next year, FBC Stride for Sight!
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment