Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Monday, January 30, 2017

Life Imitating Art or Art Imitating Life

One of the ways, as I've mentioned in previous posts, is, I gain strength and maintain HOPE by keeping a list of quotes to refer to during my times of inner struggle. I am constantly adding to this list, when a quote resonates with me. It can be from anywhere - a FB post someone shares, a magazine, or even a tv show or movie.

I was watching an episode of "Chicago Fire" recently and two of the main characters struggling with something were advised by a friend:

"Something bad happens and we try to exert control but sometimes it is better to live with the pain for a little while, process it.  It can be a real blow.  There is no harm in admitting it"

Life imitating Art? or Art imitating Life?

It's the same exact advice I was given years ago by a counselor, who told me if I stopped burying my feelings by finding a substitute that allowed me to avoid processing what I was struggling with (the gym, food, etc) - I would come out stronger.

In writing about cancer, I described it as:

It's a tsunami or tidal wave. Sometimes it's forecasted based on previous events - Xrays, a catscan, an MRI. The suspense builds. When it hits, it completely envelopes you and your loved ones. What's the plan? How do we recover? How do you find and adjust to "the new normal" life has waiting for us? We MUST rebuild. 

Sometimes it's a false alarm.

A small normal sized wave that goes back out to sea...and we breathe.

For many years, I was too caught up in avoiding the wave. 
The more I buried my feelings, the more they hurt.

I eventually hit rock bottom, and worked my way out, and continue to work towards seeing the light at the end of that tunnel. 

On the flight recently, I received more inspiration while reading an article in "People" regarding Tim Tebow and the relationship he has with his Dad.

My parents know how I feel, because I constantly tell them I love them while I still have the opportunity. 

The article and the following quotes from Tim Tebow nailed exactly how I feel everyday.

It's been hard to reconcile with the strong -- seemingly invincible -- man who raised him. To see weakness and vulnerability in him, I just feel for him. I find myself being drastically protective of him. I think that's what family is for. They raise you, and then you get to a point where you have to take care of them. --Tim Tebow

"I look at my Dad and think 'I can do anything if I just set my mind to it'. I get that from my Dad." --Tim Tebow

"To be honest, none of us knows how much time we have left. Something could happen to any one of us. But this is a reminder that we need to make time to spend together." --Tim Tebow

"It was a reminder that we don't have an infinite amount of time on Earth with the people we love. Everything can end at any time, and I wanted to make the most of it." --Tim Tebow

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment