Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Thursday, January 26, 2017

Getting Rid of the Crutches

Albuquerque, Late 1997.

I broke my ankle at work sliding down a snow and ice covered curb on my left ankle.
After approximately 6 weeks in the cast, I returned to the Doctor to get the cast removed. Much to my surprised, it was removed with a power saw!

The cast fell off in 2 pieces and I looked at this stick of a leg where the muscles had atrophied due to non use. I hadn't been able to walk or otherwise put pressure on my leg, Including driving, well not legally anyhow. I drove once to the bank and when you're dominant right and attempting to drive with your left foot - well, let's just say I never tried that again. Once and Done.

At any rate, the cast was removed, and I had been walking on crutches for the entire 6 week period. The Doctor said to gradually wean myself off the crutches. Being obstinate, pig-headed and stubborn, I promptly got home, decided I had enough, and threw the crutches down outside the front door to force myself to walk without them.

I limped, but I made it.

Fast Forward to Early 2017, Almost 19 years later. 

I had enough of my cable company raising rates, and for a while, I haven't really sat in front of the tv and just flipped channels, or looked for something to watch, or even watched live - nearly everything was DVR'd and watched later.

So, I did something I never thought I would do - I got rid of the crutches again.

Disconnected the cable, Signed up for Netflix (which I already had) and added Hulu, and the Cable Crutch came crashing to the floor.

Its been two weeks now, and I haven't found one thing I'm missing by not having the cable
I can still keep up on the shows I really enjoy, and I re-discovered the joy of watching a DVD. Imagine that!  With 200 cable channels and a slew of things recorded "for a rainy day" - I just never watched movies anymore.

The lower bill is definitely an added bonus.

I've felt more peaceful and calm, mostly. More indulged by getting more time for myself, 
to think, compose and reflect. More positive. Less Negative.

It could just be a coincidence, but without the cable and watching as much TV, I've definitely felt more introspective and had more time to think and process things. Thus my 4th blog entry within a week (some haven't posted yet). I think I have a Muse.

I'm currently on the 4th day of a 6 week group on Facebook talking about my experiences and how cancer has affected me and my family. Revisiting and in some cases, discovering, long ago feelings is therapeutic, but difficult.

Perhaps I should eliminate more of the crutches in my life.
When you stop using the crutch, you can fly.


No comments:

Post a Comment