Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Life is a Series of Quotes

When life tosses me another curveball I'm not expecting, one of the ways I help deal with and manage the change is to maintain a list of quotes that express what I'm trying to deal with.

I'm constantly adding to this list, and I refer back to it often.
I think it's a way of helping me feel not so quite alone;
That I'm not alone in my struggle and challenge.
To help me persevere and overcome.

Below are some that I use frequently:

"With everything that has happened to you, you can either feel sorry for yourself or treat what has happened as a gift.  Everything is either an opportunity to grow or an obstacle to keep you from growing.  You get to choose"

"What I learned was it doesn't matter if you get knocked down in life, what matters is that you've got to get back up." - Ben Affleck"


"They reminded us that we can overcome any obstacle if we dig deep enough and fight hard enough and find the courage within ourselves" - Michelle Obama

Amen. The worst parts of my life have in hindsight, been my greatest lessons.

From a tv show:
They say ignorance is bliss because once you know, you can’t go back. Will you be strong or will you fall apart? It’s hard to predict so don’t worry about it. Enjoy the time you have before the news comes. Yep, ignorance is bliss. 

This has been a hard one, and one I still struggle with. Trying to avoid a black cloud from stopping me from enjoying the here and now, the beauty and the GIFT of today; of not knowing, yet.

Today, a friend posted:
I choose LOVE.
I choose JOY.
I choose PEACE.
I choose GRATEFUL.

My favorite quote from "Superman" and one that exemplifies the relationship between my Father and I, as it was also the relation between Kal-El and Jor-El.
Somewhere along the way, I've turned into the parent raising a couple of 70+ year old kids.

We will never leave you...
The richness of our lives shall be yours.
All that I have, all that I learned,
Everything that I feel... all this, and more,
I...I bequeath you, my son.
You will carry me inside you,
All the days of your life.
You will make my strength your own,
And see my life through your eyes,
As your life will be seen through mine.
The son becomes the Father,
And the Father, the Son.

Be grateful for every second of every day that you get to spend with the people you love. 
Life is so very precious.

My Father's signature quote, that he uses on his email and that I refer to for inspiration:
Cancer may have robbed me of that blissful ignorance that once led me to believe that tomorrow stretched forever.  In exchange I've been granted the wisdom to see each today as something special, a gift to be used wisely and fully.  Nothing can take that away.

My Father's email signature above has been a part of of his email for as long as I can remember, probably since he's ever had email. I've always read it and acknowledged it as something positive, but it took an event in my own life, along with finally accepting his 2nd Cancer diagnosis to recognize and live it: That today doesn't stretch forever, and tomorrow isn't guaranteed. I try, though I don't always succeed, to enjoy the here and the now instead of worrying about the tomorrow's and what could go wrongs.  Without cancer, without the lessons and hitting absolute rock bottom in my own life, I wouldn't be where I am now enjoying the privilege I get spend each day with my parents and other ones while the opportunity is available. 

Another piece of advice from one of my favorite authors, Mitch Albom:
Hope, no matter how buried, wants to find the light of day and rises from within us until it does.

This one helps me in my darkest moments, when I can't see hope, that even when I cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel, it's still there, in some form. It exists, even if I can't see it yet.

Similarly, from Spider-Man:
No matter how buried it gets or how lost you feel, you must promise me that you will hold on to hope.

Truer words have never been spoken.

No comments:

Post a Comment