Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Monday, June 12, 2017

Being the Match, Part VI (Final Post in the Series)

When and after I donated the bone marrow, the reaction from what I did, from friends and family alike, just like when I announced my decision, was completely overwhelming to me:

You saved someone's life. That's a powerful thing.

 Wow! That is inspirational!


I want to give a shout out to (Jeff) Jeffrey!!!(Hopefully he doesn't mind) 🤗
He is a cancer warrior. Besides his normal cancer fighting activities he is prepping to donate his bone marrow this week. This is going to a stranger that he was matched with. Some person somewhere else has a shot of life because he registered and then said "yes". Hopefully he will inspire others to do so.
When a loved one needs a transplant family members are often not a match. But if everyone was willing to be there for someone think of how many more families could get this gift. 🎁
He already knows he intimidates me and now I am also in complete awe of him.
Thank you Jeff for being awesome. 💖🍾(sorry I know you can't drink yet because if this)🥂🎈🎊
“The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart.”
— Helen Keller
 He is one of the best human beings on this planet.
I hope and pray my kids will never be in need of a donor. But should such a need present itself, I'm humbled and grateful that there are people out there like you. Thank you so much for being someone's angel and donating life! You the real MVP 


...whoever saves a life, it is considered as if he saved an entire world."
Today our son Jeffrey Zaben donated the t-cells from his bone marrow to save the life of another man.
A mitzvah happened today.

Think about it, he is actually SAVING A MAN'S LIFE. That is so awesome.

How amazing! What a selfless opportunity to help someone else! You are amazing 

This just brought tears of joy to,me eyes. So proud of you and so happy for the chance the recipient now has because of you.

Heros come in all shapes and sizes. Today we have a hero in the class of 1992 grads group. I wanted this to be known as it's amazing and selfless act of kindness. Below is what Jeffrey Zaben is doing!!! You are amazing Jeff and we all wish you all the best today!!! You are a true HERO!! Below was written by his cousin!!

A friend wrote, "I'm a little bit in awe of you right now"

Throughout the process of being called and tested, I did a lot of soul searching. A lot of thinking, and a lot of wondering, but not questioning, why was I doing this...over the days leading up to the donation itself.

I take as if I'm doing my part. It was a nobrainer for me. Almost downplaying. Like I would expect anyone else to do to the same. Its hard for me to sometimes take a compliment in a normal situation. In my decision to undergo testing and ultimately to donate the bone marrow, to the recipient and my social circle, it seems like it has much, much more of an impact to them.  I never really thought of not doing it. It wasn't an option I considered.  Certainly, the medical and other needs of my parents, I considered, but I never wavered from my decision to donate.

"That's the thing.  Sometimes we do something, doesn't even feel like it's that big of a deal. We are just doing our part, doing what we think is right.  But we don't know what kind of impact that decision has on someone else.  They may see it as a very big deal.  It can change their life"



I found it very curious that one of the bruises on my left arm formed a definite heart shape. Another sign it was just meant to be...




This picture was taken a couple of days after the donation procedure was over.

In my soul searching, I came across two main motivations for what I did:

1..I am a FIXER, and I cannot ever fix or become a match to my Dad. I cannot cure him. So I decided to do the next best thing, and I will do something I do have within my power to do.  I will help and try to cure someone else.

2..I have some mistakes I've made in the past that I feel by giving back in such a big way, can help in some way to repay the debt I caused.

The above was written before the donation occurred; but I still feel equally as strong. I'm now past the donation process and have had time to begun processing the enormity of what I experienced and what I did. 

I am extremely proud and honored to have been chosen and had the opportunity to donate and save someone's life in such a manner.

As I wrote, it was an honor and life changing experience for me as well.

I would do it again, in a heartbeat, without question.

I hope they call me.

Links to the entire blog series:
Part I
Part II
Part III
Part IV
Part V


No comments:

Post a Comment