Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Thursday, June 8, 2017

The Facts of Life

The theme song to the TV show went,
"You take the good,
You take the bad,
You take them all, 
and there you have...
The Facts of Life"

Tuesday (yesterday when I wrote this) was an exercise in taking the bad in stride and fully appreciating the good that occurred in spite of the insane. There's a good blog post in there, somewhere, I wrote.

Initially, I wrote the above as a reminder to myself to expand on it later, and eventually it made its way to Facebook because I loved how the words just seemed to flow.

And here we are.
Since I'm a list person, I decided to write this as a list:

The Wrong or "the Bad":
1..After a more than normally disrupted sleep schedule, I felt out of sorts. Almost like I woke up on the wrong side of the bed, but I wasn't really feeling moody - just "off"

2..The minute I got in to work, was the minute I realized I had forgot all my food at home..I had nothing to eat with me. There goes the wonderful healthy and clean eating plan I generally try and stick to while at work.

3..I had no time to ease in to the day before the day started coming at me with full force. Problems, Chaos, Emails, etc. I was slammed before I even got settled.

4..At 830a, I remembered I was supposed to leave the fire extinguisher at home outside for the apartment to complete the annual check up/servicing. I had it on my list, but forgot to check the list both the night before and in the morning before I left work..probably because I was so out of it. 

The Right or "the Good":
1..For not having any food with me, I resisted the temptation to indulge in the wonderful Otis Spunkmeyer Double Chocolate Muffin in the snack machine..or any other form of carb or sugar. Somehow, I managed to maintain control, and without any food with me to eat. When my willpower works, it works.

2..I didn't look when I was getting dressed, and I mistakenly wore a smaller shirt unintentionally. But then, the fit of shirt most likely caused someone to tell me they thought I lost weight. I of course, thought they were smoking crack until I tried other smaller clothes when I got home and decided the past 6 months were finally starting to pay off.

3..I was in great company, because it felt more like a Monday, than Monday did. When I compared notes with friends and coworkers alike - they were having the same kind of day.

4..I received a compliment on a report I run, which made me feel appreciated.

5..When I realized I forgot to take out the fire extinguisher, I bolted out of work and floored it home to beat the 9am time restriction - After which, I would be charged $75 to enter my apartment and obtain said fire extinguisher.  I was home at 840a, in plenty of time..and as long as I was home, I got my lunch and snacks for the remainder of the day. I made it back and forth to work in a whopping 35 minutes, at the tail end of rush hour, and without talking with any cops!

6..As crazy and chaotic as the day was - you could say it meant JOB SECURITY!

7..There was absolutely no medical situations involved in ANY of the stress, which I was incredibly thankful for. If you know my life, medical stress sucks.

8..I still got my 10,000 steps (my daily goal) by the end of the day.

The day was proof of how much can you take before you blow, but also, to be thankful for what the day was, and what it wasn't, and to realize that everything really is temporary. 

It's all in how you choose to deal with it - you cannot control what happens to you, but you can control how you choose to deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment