Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Saturday, May 6, 2017

Being the Match, Part I

Approximately 285 Chemo Treatments ago, or 5 years ago,  my Dad was diagnosed with Myelodysplastic Syndrome, or MDS, a precursor to leukemia. At some point after his treatment started, we decided to obtain a second opinion so off we went to the Mayo Clinic for the day, where they ran a bunch of tests and then chatted with us.

It was as a result of this appointment at Mayo, that I signed up with BeTheMatch to determine if I was a possible match or donor for my Father. I figured, why shouldn't I be? I'm his son!  

On February 20th 2013, the day of the Mayo Appointment, and after we returned home..I went on the computer and officially joined the National Bone Marrow Registry, or BeTheMatch. Within a few days or weeks, I was mailed a kit with basically a long QTip and a secure envelope with the instructions to swab my cheek, seal the envelope and mail it back. So i swabbed, thinking the whole time, I'm probably not doing this right and screwing it up. Who knew!

On May 12, 2013, almost 4 years to the day of what would later become my planned donation date, I received an email from Be The Match advising that they had received my results and I was officially on the registry and could expect a call if I was determined to be a match. (I am a saver and I kept the emails)

We found out from Mayo that that neither I, nor my father's closest blood relatives - both of who were tested in a similar manner - were matches for my Dad. Although through the Bone Marrow Registry, they did locate a 100% match for him. Unfortunately, a bone marrow transplant and the risks therein, deemed him not a good choice for a transplant.

So, then I decided I would stay on the registry, and I really hoped I would someday be called. Throughout the next 5 years, I would constantly think "If I can't save my own Dad, then I want to save someone else."  And I meant it. 

I really didn't have any idea what donating bone marrow meant, other than, helping to save someone's life. That's all that really mattered to me.

On March 2, 2017 I received the following email:


Jeffrey,

You’ve been identified as a possible marrow match for someone in need of a transplant. The patient’s doctor is trying to determine treatment options as quickly as possible.

Please call me immediately  to tell me if you’re willing and able to become a donor.

WHAT?
OH MY GOD!

After discussing with my parents, I called back and agreed to be tested.
What would that entail?

To be continued...



No comments:

Post a Comment