Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Monday, February 2, 2015

The "Gift" of Loss and Your Perspective

We think of memory loss as just that - a loss.

It's a loss to those around someone who know and recognize the difference between what is and what used to be.

To the person experiencing the memory loss, maybe it needs to be re-imagined as a "gift"of sorts. The gift of not knowing the difference. The gift of experiencing the same moment, or asking the same question - with the same perspective - over and over.


We have a choice, in every situation. We can choose to see something as being "taken away" or we can choose to embrace it as a "gift". We can choose to see the negative, or we can accept that we are powerless to change certain things, so its time to absorb and move on. We can choose to see it not as a loss, but as a moment cherish.  A moment spending time together is indeed, a gift.

Speaking of perspective, it's all in yours. I read earlier someone who stated "This has been the longest week of my life and it's only Thursday."

My first reaction was "unless you are dealing with something life threatening for you or a loved one, your week couldn't possibly have been that bad"

I stopped myself from responding. Just as my perception is my reality, so is theirs.

My perspective has definitely been changed over the past few months. So much stuff is little stuff in the grand scheme. Little stuff that I just don't have time for anymore.

The person in question was referring to looking for a new home in a new city. Granted, looking for a new place to live can be stressful. So can watching a loved one suffer.

But I find I judge things by comparing what others complain about to my own stress. So many of the things I stressed about 4 months ago are things I no longer stress over. There are bigger fish to fry in my world these days.


Perspective is like perception. To each of us, our own ideas and struggles are the most important thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment